Will your referees help you to secure that dream job?
When applying for a new position, strategically picking the correct referees requires as much thought as tightening your CV and preparing to impress in that all important interview.
"Picking a suitable referee is more than just getting someone to say something nice about you. A good reference can give you the edge you need to help convince a prospective employer that you are the right candidate for the position" said Amy Klingel, Division Director of OfficeTeam.
"In the competitive job market, the outcome of a reference check can make or break your chances of securing a position" continued Amy.
According to Klingel, there are a few tips to keep in mind when selecting your next referee:
· Always select someone who can discuss your skills and experience in relation to the position you are applying for.
· Brief your referee on the position you are applying for, including the qualities and characteristics you feel are essential for the role. It is also a good idea to forward an updated copy of your CV to remind your referee of your accomplishments that may be of interest to a potential employer.
· A referee will need to demonstrate your strengths and experiences by providing examples of how you have applied your skills within the workplace. Will your referee be able to articulate this?
· Ensure your referee is someone you have spoken to recently and with whom you have maintained a good relationship. Including references from your most recent employment can help highlight contemporary experiences in a concise manner.
· Let them know in advance that they may be contacted to allow them ample time to prepare. Apart from being the polite approach, this is also a great way to make sure contact details are correct and to discuss the role you are applying for. Dont presume a referee will effortlessly be able provide a captivating reference, especially if they are caught unprepared.
· Show your appreciation by writing a thank you note to each of your referees, letting them know the outcome of your job search. This will not only help expand your network, but can also increase your job referrals.
"Remember, referees are a vital part of a job search and shouldnt be overlooked. The information they provide can impact your chances of securing the position" concluded Klingel.
OfficeTeam is a leading provider of specialised administrative staffing on a temporary basis. As a division of Robert Half International, OfficeTeam has the specialisation, expertise, leadership standing and network to attract the most highly skilled professionals, and offer them the most rewarding assignments. There are more than 300 OfficeTeam locations worldwide. Visit us today: www.officeteam.com.au